Off Camber Winter XC Series - Round 6, Sun 17 March, Blandford Forum

Another early 6am start as we loaded up the van and once again headed down the A35 to Blandford Forum for the sixth and final round of the Off Camber Winter XC Series.

It was snowing for most of the journey and really falling heavily when we arrived - a complete contrast to round 5 which felt proper spring like.

A combination of the freezing cold weather conditions and having already ridden a similar track at the previous round I opted not to do a reccie/warm up lap and instead waited in the (slightly) warmer van until 15 mins before the start.

I did manage a quick warm up on the tarmac road, although I simply couldn't get warm and all too soon it was time for the rolling start. Once released I got a good start and headed out in first place.

The conditions were Ok to start with and I made good progress on the first major climb and began to pull out a gap from the rest of the field....but then the ground conditions really deteriorated and the following formula came into play...

(super slippery mud + inappropriate tyres) x (46kg rider + super light bike) = (Zero Traction)Gnar

Full winter XC mud camo - Looks more like a Black Ops exercise!
Not a fun race for me to be honest - I spent most of the race wrestling to keep the bike pointing in a straight line which really took it out of my arms and sapped all my energy. I had no traction what-so-ever on the steeper climbs where I simply couldn't stop the rear wheel from spinning so had no choice but to get off and run those sections - grim!

One of the downsides to being lean is that the freezing conditions meant I had real problems staying warm even though I was working pretty hard and was wearing a jacket.

Purely down to the weather doing it's worst I'm not sure too many people 'enjoyed' this one - I ended up losing first place to a senior rider but was still pretty stoked to take second place overall and the junior category win by 14mins!

Once again thanks to Off Camber for organising another days racing - count me in if the rumoured Off Camber Summer Series happens!