Southern XC, Round 5, Sun 8 September, Avon Tyrrell

As the 2013 XC quickly draws to a close I headed up to Avon Tyrrell early on Sunday morning for the final round of the Southern XC series with Tom Dunn. Patchy weather with heavy rain showers on the way up meant a wet race was on the cards....brilliant, was really looking forward to some wet racing after this super long dry spell! I thought it might inject a little interest especially knowing this was going to be a flat race track where outright power would be key so probably wouldn't suit me too well  :)

On arrival we quickly got changed and went out on a practice lap. The course was pretty good fun -  very tight and twisty with a lot of bumps and, if the rain came into play, some potential slippery root action :)

The Junior race kicked off at 12:30. I got a good start off the line and tucked in behind Joe Griffiths who led it out for the first half lap before Sam Stean made a move to the front, I jumped on his wheel before he began to pull out a lead.

photo: Fizzeek MTB
Joe then dropped back to fourth and I spent the middle part of the race battling with Liam Earl for second place. Although it was very close racing I couldn't quite match his pace towards the end of the race on this course so happily took the last spot on the podium to come in third. All in a good solid performance and enjoyable day's racing.