Plymouth Corinthian Modbury Road Race, Modbury, Devon

At the end of heavy training week, this Sunday saw a return to Modbury for the second time this year. The forecast of heavy rain mostly held off with just a few heavy showers during the race.

I got towards the front for the neutralised start and as soon as the flag dropped the attacks began with none succeeding until Jake Durrant and I found ourselves with a slight gap at the Kitteridge junction.

photo: Falco Racing
We pressed on with the advantage on the descent into Ermington, opening up around a 20 second lead to the main group who weren't allowing much of a gap and closed us down as we entered Modbury.

At this point Jake shouted for me to counter attack and a few of the stronger riders from the front of the bunch joined me but before we could make anything stick the race was brought to a stop by the commissaire for dangerous riding on the first lap.

After a few minutes the race was restarted and almost straight away an attack was launched and Mid Devon CC teammate Andy Perkins got off the front and pulled out a healthy gap of around 50 seconds to the main bunch.


This was great for me as it meant I could ride in the bunch and follow the attacks were necessary but not have to chase. Over the next couple of laps the bunch slowly reeled in Andy Perkins and it was looking good for me with it all staying together for the final climb into Modbury where I knew I could probably get away having succeeded in the last Modbury race.


Sadly at the start of the final lap I got pushed out wide on a tight right hander and had to get a foot out to avoid having a big off and whilst I managed to save myself I snapped the nose off my right cleat so had to retire as I couldn't stay clipped in :(

So just bad luck and a disappointing end to a good race where I was feeling really strong but the form is good right now and not long until the next one with 3 races planned this week - bring 'em on!