Torbay Velopark - Thursday Series Race 2

Another beautiful sunny summer's evening and we headed down to the Torbay Velopark for Race 2 of the summer crit series.

I was hoping for better things having been mugged once again by a strong Bikeshed - UEX team the previous evening at the Perranporth crit...still managed to hang on for 6th so was worth the trip to scrape a few more points.

Determined to put in a good show I worked with Mid Devon team mate Andy Hitchins to put in plenty of early attacks to try and get a breakaway established.

Around 10 mins in I managed to break clear and found myself with a reasonable gap so decided to press on and hope that others would bridge over. It wasn't long before Charlie McFadzean (CS Dynamo) came across and we immediately began working together to open up the gap to the main bunch.


A rider from Somerset Road Club then tried to bridge over so Andy Perkins covered the move. Andy put in a strong turn and dropped the rider and realising he was in clear space he then soloed on over.

Now a strong team of three we worked really well together to ensure the break was going to stay away. We continued to lap consistently, eventually lapping the main field with around 10 minutes of racing remaining.


Team tactics then came into play with Andy and I attacking Charlie until Andy broke clear to ensure a Mid Devon win. I then sat on for the last couple of laps before sprinting for the line to take second place.

A big thanks to my coach Mark Dolan of Epic Coaching - I'm definitely getting stronger on the flat!