South West Cyclo-X - Round 3 Sun 23 Sept, Barnstaple

Headed up to Barnstaple for my very first South West Cyclo-cross race on Sunday. The weather was terrible...pouring with rain and blowing a gale!

Although I'm competing in the Junior category we race in the Seniors race which means a duration of around one hour. The front of the starting grid is seeded so for me being non-seeded meant starting somewhere in the middle of the pack...not ideal since a good start is pretty crucial.

Not a brilliant start for me as I managed to crash in the first corner, going down hard and cutting my forearm, after being cut-up by a fellow racer....cheers Alan! Oh well, I managed to quickly recover from that and settle into a good rythym with reasonable pace so began climbing my way back up through the field.

I was in 12th place after the crash but ended up finishing 4th overall (well that's what I was told on raceday although looking at the published results I've been placed 5th :S) in the Seniors race and took the win for the Junior category having lapped the second place Junior....well pleased :)

I really enjoyed my first CX race, so a big thanks to Taw Velo and British Cycling for organising this event (and MDCC for getting me involved) and I will definately be back for more at the next event in two weeks time! Meantime, next Saturday, I'll be heading to the final round of the 2XC race series, maybe see you there....