Modbury Spring Road Race, Modbury, Devon

Was looking forward to this race as it included a hill so should of suited me better, although having ridden the course on the day before it was maybe still not as hard as I'd like it so gaining any advantage was going to be tough.

Arrived early on Sunday and got a solid warm up done as was feeling good for the race. Luckly I was towards the front of that pack as the race kicked off at a pretty fast pace with a lot of riders further back in the pack getting dropped in the neutralised zone.

From the get go the attacks were thick and fast until a decisive attack from Mark Lees managed to get away. Recognising the danger I jumped on his wheel with another rider following and the three of us worked together to establish a gap to the main group.

Towards the end of the flat descent I'd just finished a turn on the front when the other rider let Mark Lees wheel go. A gap quickly opened before I realised what had happened and although I tried to bridge across it was too late due to it being on the flat descent into a head wind.

I settled back in to the bunch to recover a bit from the effort and think about how I might win. The remainder of the race was pretty uneventful - Mark Lees stayed away and no further attacks came to anything.

I decided the best strategy for me was to attack on the final climb which worked out well as I managed to open up enough of a gap to hold on to the finish and take second place, ahead of the bunch sprint.