Colin Lewis Cycles Grand Prix, Torbay Velopark

Saturday saw the Colin Lewis Cycles Grand Prix at the Torbay Velopark. This promised a busy programme of races throughout the day, starting with kids’ competitions and building up to a high-quality hour-long E/1/2 race in the evening.

The E/1/2 race started at a quick pace with various riders attacking right from the start. With a field of high caliber riders I decided to follow any moves that looked strong, keeping my options open.

Several attacks early on looked quite promising and at times began splitting up the field as some riders struggled to stay on in the windy conditions.

Just when it start to settle down, I heard George Pym (Starley Primal Pro Cycling) changing up the gears behind me...I sensed the attack and jumped straight on his wheel and before we knew it we had a fairly decent gap on the bunch.


We worked together to increase the gap as 3 other riders formed a chasing group that started to close us down for a while. We continued to press on regardless, digging deep, to maintain our advantage.

After some time the gap remained constant and with 5 laps to go the chasers realised that they weren't going to catch us so backed off in order to contest 3rd place.

George and I continued to lap at a fairly high pace until the final lap when we knew we would be fighting for the win.

Out of the final hairpin and things had slowed to a track style standoff with neither of us wanting to take it up too early. Halfway down the penultimate straight George really backed it off so I thought it was my best opportunity to attack so I opened up my sprint, catching him off guard and in the wrong gear, as I opened up a gap into the final bend.

Giving it my all I wasn't quite strong enough to hold him off, coming in a strong second.

Was a great evening's racing and I was pleased with the result - shows I've come a long way since starting as a cat 4 just 5 months ago!