Brentor Road Race

Yesterday saw one of the last remaining road races of the season - the Okehamption CC E/1/2/3 Brentor Road Race. Not really one of my favourite circuits if I'm honest, but never the less one I felt I could do well on.

There was a pretty strong field of riders which I was hoping would make for some good racing. However, the race was pretty uneventful at first with no major attacks until 2 riders got a gap around 2 laps in. This was soon brought back and then the real attacking began...


I followed all the main moves but nothing was sticking and although the race was pacy, with riders continually being shelled out the back, it was looking like it was going to be all together at the base of the final climb.


Around half way around the final lap a couple of riders clipped of the front of the bunch and everyone started looking around, wondering who was going to commit, but none of the stronger/well represented teams were prepared to chase this move down. Rounding the final corner it all kicked off with everyone going full gas up the final climb and splitting up the race into small groups.

photo: www.rutrainingtoday.co.uk

I was in the front group of around 10 riders and we were closing rapidly on the 2 man break. It was obviously going to be a dash for the line so I positioned myself well in anticipation of the sprint. With just under 200m to go I came off the wheel of a BH Solidor and opened up my sprint, flashing past riders as I galloped to the line - 3rd in the bunch sprint taking 5th place overall, not quite catching the break.