VC Venta Summer Road Race

Another early start as we headed up the 303 to Stockbridge in Hampshire for a 9:30am start to the VC Venta Summer Road Race. I had raced here a few weeks ago and really liked the course - a fast, rolling circuit with a draggy hill finish which helps to split the race up making for some interesting racing.

I knew I could go well here but that I'd have my work cut out tactically, being a lone (marked) rider, against a few strong teams. Sure enough the team attacks came thick and fast from the start until a 4 man breakaway was quickly established.

Unfortunately I wasn't part of the break, having been caught out after chasing many attacks. I tried hard to split the race via counter attacks up the main climb but most riders were unwilling to share the work so it all came back together.

Approaching the finish
So, on the last lap, with the breakaway gone, I was racing for 5th place. I put in a big attack a third of the way up the final climb and blew the peloton apart with only one rider able to stick with me. We worked together to ensure the gap was not able to be closed down before I attacked again and pulled out a large time gap to comfortably take 5th place. Not quite the result I was looking for but that's racing!